This is the second week I am working on this month-long project. If you are new, check out my first week update here! The project I am building is a second brain for a quilt shop called The Quilted Windmill. I am creating a digital space where they can store information, procedures, and systems. My goal for this project is to:
- Help the owner to manage her business and customers
- Help current and new employees get information and maintain consistency
This month I am going to be:
- Gathering and organizing information
- Creating an easy to manage system
- Managing a large project
- Building a system that can be added to overtime
- Documenting my work
What Have I Done This Week?
This week I focused on the main page of my project.
The Steps/Info Board’s purpose is for:
- Step by step procedures on various tasks
- Answers to the common employee or customer questions
- Tips on how to solve situations that might arise
- Information an employee might need including other employee contact info
I brainstormed on what aspects of the business I could add as sub-pages. I listed all the categories and began to add information that I knew. I understand this business’s system and know how to add inventory so I created a step-by-step list for how to add inventory.
The beauty of this project is that I don’t have to know everything. It can be added to overtime. New questions, procedures, and information can be added, and grow with the company.
Along with this sub-page, I added Toggle to the other sub-pages with questions that could come up and procedures that could be listed.
I made a walkthrough video explaining how I managed this project.
What Did I Do Well?
- I was sure to be specific with the categories I thought to add.
- I pushed to cover various bases to demonstrate what this digital brain can do for the owner.
- I was specific with the due dates in my project management system.
- I kept on top of my time management with my Trello project management.
What Could Be Improved?
I had a lot of other things going on this past week. It took more of my work time than I anticipated. Next week, I am going to give track practice, meals, and events more time in my schedule. I’ve underestimated how long those tasks take to complete. If I block more time for those, I can accurately plan my work week.
What I’ll Be Doing Next Week
Next week I’ll be focusing on:
- Creating pages for current processes that are kept on paper
- Customizing the templates to fit the process
- Documenting my progress
- Posting my progress
- Updating the SOP for the system I’m building
- Updating my landing page
- Week 3 update post!
Check out my full project here!